For many sports fans, betting on the outcome of a game is just as much a part of the experience as watching the game itself. But for those who are looking for more than just a traditional bet, props are a great option. These types of bets add an extra layer of excitement to watching the game because you have skin in the game.
They are often more complex than traditional bets, props can be more challenging and therefore more exciting to make. In this blog post, we’ll explain what props betting is and give you some tips on how to bet on them successfully.
Best Sportsbooks In Arizona for Props Betting
What is Props Betting in Sports?
Props are bets on individual players or team performances. They take the game-within-the-game to a whole new level. Also known as “prop” or “proposition” bets, props can range from simple outcomes tied directly to the game – such as whether one team will score a goal before the other – to more complex wagers where bettors must guess the exact number of passing yards or tackles made in a game.
Unlike traditional sportsbook betting, props do not have a definitive winner or loser; rather, they are based on specific criteria and outcomes related to the game. These types of bets tend to offer some of the most exotic odds and can make for an exciting way to bet on a game.
Types of Props Bets
There are three main types of prop bets: player props, team props, and game props. Most of the top sportsbooks in Arizona offer numerous prop betting options with different odds based on specific criteria.
Player props are bets based on the individual performance of one or more players in a game, such as total yards from scrimmage, rushing yards they will gain, or steals will a player get. . The bettor selects an outcome related to the player’s performance and if that outcome happens, they win their wager.
This involves betting on the performance of a team as a whole, such as how many total points they will score or how many sacks they will allow.
Lastly, this kind of prop involves betting on specific events that will occur during a game, such as the winning margin at the end of the game or which team will score first.
There are unlimited props that can be offered by sportsbooks, here are some examples:
- Whether a certain quarterback will throw for more or less than 300 yards in a game
- Whether a certain running back will get more or less than 100 rushing yards in the same game
- Whether a certain wide receiver will score the first touchdown of a game
- Whether any team will score in the last two minutes
- Whether a certain player will make more than 5 three-pointers in a game
- Whether a player will grab more than (or less than) 10 boards in a game
- Whether a team will come out on top at the end of every quarter
- Whether any team will hit 10+ threes in the same game
- A race to 80 points
- The total number of strikeouts recorded by all pitchers during a game
- Whether a certain batter will get more than 2 hits in a game
- Whether any pitcher will strike out at least 10 batters in the same game
- The total number of runs scored before the 5th inning
- The total number of home runs hit in the entire game
- The exact number of goals scored in a game
- Whether any team will score on the power play
- Whether any player will record a hat trick in the same game
- Whether both teams will score at least two goals
- Whether either team will score at least five goals in the same game
- The exact number of saves made in a game
- Whether any team will be awarded two penalty kicks
- Whether any team will score two or more goals in the same game
- Whether either team will score 5+ goals
- The total number of corner kicks taken by both teams combined
Why Are Props So Popular?
The appeal of props betting is that it’s a great way to add excitement to the game. It gives bettors more control over their bets as they can pick and choose which players or teams they want to back, rather than just betting on the game’s outcome.
Betting on traditional sports markets can often feel like a guessing game, but with props betting you can gain an edge by using your knowledge of the sport and individual players to make more informed bets.
And because they usually involve multiple outcome possibilities, props can also be more lucrative for those who know how to handicap them correctly. So if you’re looking to add an extra level of excitement to your next sports bet, consider placing a prop bet instead.
Tips for Betting on Props
As with any type of bet, there is no surefire way to guarantee success when betting on props. However, there are a few tips that can help you make more informed bets and increase your chances of winning.
First, do your research – read up on the players and teams involved in each bet. Look at match stats from previous games, form tables, and player/team performances to gain an insight into who is likely to come out on top.
Second, make sure you understand the type of bet you’re placing and all its associated rules. Some props may be settled as a push or even refunded if certain criteria are not met – make sure you are aware of this before placing a bet.
Next, try to earn bonuses from online sportsbooks. Many of them offer bonuses or free bets to risk-free bets which can be used in betting for props.
Finally, shop around for the best sportsbooks and odds – different bookmakers offer different props and different odds on the same bet. This is especially true when it comes to live betting, where some sportsbooks have a better range of in-play markets than others.